From the Mayor’s Office
Reviving Artistic Character of GWL
Few may be aware, but GWL is steeped in rich art and cultural history. Incidentally, I learned of this fact while taking an New York City history course while attending college in Manhattan. As part of the course requirement, I was to go to a museum of my choice and perform a bit of research on certain items from within the museum. To my luck, I decided to go the New York Historical Society Museum on Museum Row. In this museum I stumbled upon a room containing art from the Hudson River School. While glancing around the room, my eyes became fixated on a painting that closely resembled Greenwood Lake. Taking a closer look, I realized the painting was in fact that of Greenwood Lake and it was painted by a very famous painter, Jasper Francis Cropsey in the mid-19th century. Since then, Greenwood Lake has been home to and inspiring very talented artists for years. We are currently seeing a project undertaken by a local artist, Chris Vanvooren and commissioned by a local business-owner, Jamie Hannouche of Cuts & Styles by Salon Marwan. This project, a mural painted on the side of a local hair salon next to the Senior Center, has been sponsored by several great businesses as well. True Value Hardware was able to secure all of the paint from Benjamin Moore for FREE. The following businesses supported the project through sponsorships: Kwik Mart, Streamline Auto, The Helm, Temple Fitness, Anton’s on the Lake, Casper Enterprise, Ophelia’s Floral Design, Jersey Paddle Boards, IK Auto Sales, Village Vape Shop and the Irish Whisper. Great work by all – we’re all very excited to see the final result!
- GWL Coalition Teen Center open every Wednesday from 6-8pm at the GWL Elks Lodge. Volunteers Needed.
- Open Gym Basketball for grades 7-12 at the Middle School Gym every Monday from 8pm – 10pm starting October 17th.
- Halloween Activities on October 29th:
- Chamber’s Trick or Treating down Windermere: 2pm – 4pm
- Fire Dept. Halloween Parade 4pm down Windermere
- Coalition’s Terror on the Trail 7pm – 10pm CVS Field
- Holy Rosary Church celebrates All Saints Day Sunday, Oct. 30th 10am mass
- GWL Village Board Workshop, Nov. 28th at 6:30 p.m. in the courthouse
- GWL Village Board Meeting , Nov. 28th at 7:30 p.m. in the courthouse