From the Mayor’s Office
Village Mourns Loss of Public Servant
This past week the Greenwood Lake community lost one of our most active civic leaders. Sharon Gehler, passed peacefully in her sleep on the evening of August 4th. She will be sorely missed by her friends and family, and missed by her community to whom she dedicated so much of her time. Sharon’s public service started in Greenwood Lake back when she was the Youth Recreation Director for the Village. In this capacity she embodied one of the most important facets of our community – cultivating positive youth development. From there, Sharon dedicated almost all of her time volunteering as an officer, and leadership positions in both the Lions Club of Greenwood Lake and the Greenwood Lake Elks Lodge. In fact, Sharon held leadership positions in both of these organizations simultaneously. Sharon reached the positions of Exalted Ruler of the Elks and President of the Lions Club. Some would think this could spread a person thin – but not Sharon. Sharon played an integral role in both of these civic organizations and impacted the Greenwood Lake community in ways many of us may never know.
Sharon’s life is one to be celebrated. She was an inspiration to me as I became a member of the Lions Club and also as a member of the Elks Lodge. I have sought advice and guidance from Sharon on many occasions and have regularly relied on her experiences to help guide me through some of the tougher decisions in my civic roles. She will be forever missed by our community, and by me. The visitation service for Sharon will be Monday evening at Strong & Basile Funeral Home. To ensure the Village Board’s attendance to honor Sharon’s life, we will reschedule the Village Board meeting from Monday to another date which has not yet been determined.
- PBA & Coalition Youth League basketball, kickball and Soccer every Wed., from 6-8pm at Helen Kelly and Langen Courts (Vine St). Ages 10-15.
- Summer Concert: Soul City, Sat Aug 13th at 7pm.
- GWL Elks Lodge Clambake, Aug. 13th from 2-6pm under the Elks Pavilion.
- Village Board Workshop TBD
- Village Board Meeting TBD
- Zumba at the Beach, Every Saturday at the Thomas Morahan Waterfront Park, 9am. Yoga at the beach every other Tuesday at 9am beginning Tuesday June 14th.