From the Mayor’s Office
By Jesse Dwyer
Military Appreciation Day in Village
Another successful year of appreciating our nation’s Veteran’s by the good folks at the Arthur Finnegan Post American Legion. This past Sunday, a committee of dedicated volunteers, Legion members, veterans, civilians, Ladies Auxiliary and Sons of the Legion put on an incredible display of appreciation to the soldiers of the 101st Airborne Division 1st Battalion 32nd Cavalry, also known as the “Bandits”. Each year, the Army sends some of its brightest and most accomplished soldiers to train the Cadets at West Point Military Academy. And each year, this committee of volunteers shows their appreciation by putting on a celebration at our local Legion.
Great work committee, and from the Village Board, thank you to our soldiers fighting abroad and those training at “home”, but who are prepared to go abroad at a moment’s notice.
Suicide Awareness Concert in Village
The GWL Coalition will once again partner with the GWL Boy Scouts Troop 121 to host a Suicide Awareness Concert on August 6th from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.. The Awareness Concert began as an Eagle Scout project by local resident Ethan Williams. The Coalition and Scouts will be continuing the tradition. Please attend the free concert and hear a heartfelt speaker as well as a great local band. The concert will be held at the Thomas P. Morahan Waterfront Beach. In case of rain, concert will be held in the GWL Elks Lodge.
Events in the Village
- GWL Coalition Meeting 3rd Tuesday each month at the Senior Center. 7:00 p.m. Help combat drug and alcohol use among our youth. Attend a Coalition meeting!
- Summer Concert Series presents the Some Guys and a Broad, Saturday, July 18th at 7:00 p.m. at the Thomas P. Morahan Waterfront Park.
- PBA Bicycle Rodeo July 19th at 1:00 p.m. at the American Legion. Any questions please call Officer Malara at 477-9211
- Summer Concert Series – Children’s Concert The Uncle Brothers Band, Thursday July 23rd beginning at 6”30 p.m. at the Beach (sponsored by the GWL Lions Club)
- Summer Concert Series presents New York Hitmen, Saturday July 25th at 7:30 p.m.
- Village Board Public Hearing on the proposed code changes relating to Cell Tower construction July 20th 7:00 p.m. in the Courthouse
- Village Board Workshop July 20th at 6:30p.m. in the Courthouse
- Village Board Meeting July 20th at 7:30p.m. in the Courthouse
- Kids Fishing Derby, Sponsored by the GWL PBA Sunday, July 26th from 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at Defeo’s Marina. Derby for ages 15 and under. Catch and release only. Bring your own fishing pole and bait. Limited quantity available for children without a fishing pole. Life jacket required. Bring your own life jacket or one can be provided. For questions call Police Officer Malara at 477-9211. Please register for event by July 20th, 2015.