Mayor Dwyer’s Column
Greenwood Lake Mayor
By Jesse Dwyer
A Winter for the Record Books
Unfortunately for many, this has been a winter for the record books. In the years I have been involved in Village Government, I have never witnessed such disastrous effects of cold weather as we have seen lately. We have identified countless frozen residential and commercial water lines throughout the village. Our water operators and local plumbers have been working around the clock to ensure that any and all available measures are taken to provide water to homes and businesses connected to municipal water for those whose plumbing has frozen. The complexities surrounding this situation and the processes to solve the issue are tremendously difficult to navigate. The combination of aging and uncharted infrastructure with the fact that we were once a summertime community, has created a situation that is extremely urgent very inconvenient for those who are currently without water. But please, be assured that we are doing all that we can to make sure that each and every house in this Village has water. The dangerous situation is that even as the temperatures rise, the “frost line” which is responsible for many frozen lines outside of home plumbing, will deepen and potentially freeze more lines. If your water lines have ever frozen before, you must be extremely diligent in your methods to prevent frozen lines. If you have are unable to get water from your home, you must contact a plumber. The plumber, if needed, will contact Village staff. If it is an emergency dealing with bursted pipes and the potential loss of property or immediate damage to your property, contact the Village Police and we will turn your water off until the problem is resolved. Again, although by the time this column is published, the temperature may have risen a bit, the threat of frozen water lines has not fully been diminished.
- Coalition Teen Center Every Wednesday from 6:00p.m. – 9:00p.m. at the GWL Elks
- Youth Open Gym for 6th through 8th graders at the middle school from 6-8pm every Monday. 9th – 12th graders will have open gym every Monday from 8pm – 10pm.
- Village Budget Workshop March 9th 7:00 p.m. in Village Hall.
- Village Board Meeting Workshop March 16th 6:30 p.m. in the Courthouse
- Village Board General Meeting March 16th 7:30 p.m. in the Courthouse
- Youth Ski/ Snowboard/ Snow Tube Trip March 6th at Tuxedo Ridge Ski Center.