Mayor Dwyer’s Column
Greenwood Lake Mayor
By Jesse Dwyer
Urging Caution on Frozen Lake
I would like to urge caution to anyone who decides to venture out on the lake when it freezes. We all enjoy a great opportunity to utilize an enormous frozen lake for ice skating, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing and other winter recreation activities, however, we must all be smart when considering what to do, where to do it and most importantly, when to do it. Going out on thin or unsafe ice could possibly be an irrevocable mistake which could potentially take your life, and also the lives of first responders who are tasked with the responsibility of rescuing anyone who goes through the ice. Just because you see people out on the ice, possibly ice fishing, does not mean that the ice is safe. You must take your own measures wherever you will be entering the ice to determine if the part where you will be entering the lake is safe enough for whatever activity you will be enjoying. I will not state what thickness of ice is safe for use for liability reasons, but I urge all readers and ice users to do research and identify what constitutes “safe ice”. The Village Board does not encourage anyone to go on the ice in the winter, however, we will not restrict the choice of someone going out on the ice at THEIR OWN RISK. Enjoy, be safe, and most importantly, be smart when venturing out on the ice.
Hickory Tree Service Aids Again
Thank you to Hickory Tree Service, Damien Leven and his crew for helping the Village take down the Christmas Decorations with their lift at no cost to the tax payers.
Christmas Tree Pickup
Our refuse company will be out picking up Christmas trees every Monday and Thursday throughout the Village until the end of January. Please leave the trees unwrapped curbside.
- Coalition Teen Center Every Wednesday from 6:00p.m. – 9:00p.m. at the GWL Elks
- Youth Open Gym for 6th through 8th graders at the middle school from 6-8pm every Monday. 9th – 12th graders will have open gym every Monday from 8pm – 10pm.
- Village Board Workshop, Jan., 20th from 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. in the courthouse
- Village Board General Meeting, Jan., 20th at 7:30 p.m. in the courthouse
- Community Coalition Meeting, Jan. 20th 7:00 p.m. at the Senior Center.