Mayor Dwyer’s Column
Greenwood Lake Mayor
By Jesse Dwyer
A Great Start to the Holiday Season
This holiday weekend began with a tremendous fundraiser to support a local family in need. The event, coordinated by the GWL school district and Athletic Director, Chris Radon and Superintendent Dr. Christine Ackerman, was a huge success. The following day, Saturday, The GWL Girl Souts and American Legion hosted a Santa Breakfast which was coordinated by the troop leaders and Sue Toscano. Later that evening was the annual GWL Gives Back Food Pantry Fundraiser hosted by Bill Cerone, Kelli Kelm and Murphy’s Tavern. I would like to personally thank the more than 25 businesses who donated products, money or other items toward this event, and a few special thanks go out to the Irish Whisper for their generous donations as well as Barbara Aarons and Monroe Jewlers who ran a separate food bank and donated the items to this event. The event raised $2,000 and a truck full of food which will all be donated to the pantry. Thank you to the event volunteers including Pat and Kelly Olsen and Beth Farrell. That same evening, there was a special event at the Middle School Nights of Lights Performance coordinated by Unateresa Gormley. Sunday’s festivities kicked off with a Toys for Tots event at the Legion coordinated by Local Celebrity Chef Johnny Ciao followed by the annual Vendor Fair coordinated by my wife, Colleen Dwyer as well as the photos with Santa coordinated by the GWL Chamber of Commerce. There were over 20 vendors this year on a very cold day so that event was extremely successful. Special thanks to Tony Donato who was our Santa again this year We then had the tree lighting where we announced the winners to the first ever GWL Holiday House Decorating Contest. Congratulations to first place winners Ronnie Avery and Steve DeFeo. Second place winner Mike Fattal, and third place winners Matt and Beth Buckley. Thank you to all of the participants who are helping keep GWL shining throughout the holidays. Thank you to Kelli Kelm for coordinating the Tree Lighting ceremonies and thanks to all of the participants, including the Choir Dancers and Band from Tuxedo High School and the GWL Cub Scouts. In conclusion, thank you to the folks who take care of the tree including local business Hickory Tree Service, the Rader Family, Monica Conway and the GWL Lions Club, and thank you to the Ambulance members for hosting the event on their property, the Fire Dept for their assistance, and the Church of the Good Shepherd. It takes an army to pull off these events, especially when there are so many. Thank you to all involved and to the community for your continued support and involvement.
- Coalition Teen Center Every Wednesday from 6:00p.m. – 9:00p.m. at the GWL Elks Lodge (Closed Wed., Nov. 26)
- Youth Open Gym for 6th through 8th graders at the middle school from 6-8pm every Monday. 9th – 12th graders will have open gym every Monday from 8pm – 10pm.
- Grace Lutheran’s 2nd Annual Vendor Fair, Dec., 13th from 10:00a.m. – 4:00p.m.
- GWL Elementary School Holiday Concert, 16th at 5:30p.m.
- Menorah Lighting at the Ambulance Building , 16th at 7:00p.m.
- Village Board Workshop, Dec 15th from 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. in the courthouse
- Village Board General Meeting, Dec., 15th at 7:30 p.m. in the courthouse
- Fire Department Sponsors Santa and Mrs. Clause Roaming through ‘town’ by Firetruck, Dec. 20th all day.