GWL Mayor’s Column
Greenwood Lake Mayor
By Jesse Dwyer
A Proud Dependence on Community Volunteers
Greenwood Lake is truly blessed to have volunteers who selflessly provide their free time to make Greenwood Lake great. This year was the second year our local Girl Scout Troops assisted former Trustee Ed English in the planting of our Community’s sidewalk box planters and hanging baskets. And once again, they came out GREAT!
Thank you so very much to everyone who helped out this past Saturday: The GWL Girl Scouts, Sue Toscano, Trustee Katheleen Holder, Carole Flood, Tom Anderson, and of course, the coordinator of the project, former Trustee Ed English.
A Well Deserved Award
At Monday’s Greenwood Lake Village Board meeting, we presented a certificate of recognition to the Greenwood Lake Community Coalition. The ‘Coalition’ has sustained an effort to effectively reduce the use, and raise awareness, of drugs and alcohol among our youth in this community. The group is made up of dedicated volunteers who go out of their way to ensure the long term goals of the Coalition are achieved. In addition, we have been given tremendous assistance through the efforts of the Orange County Alcohol and Drug Awareness Council (ADAC). The community Coalition meets on the 3rd Tuesday of every month, 7pm in the senior center and we encourage new members to join. We are a group of concerned citizens, locally elected officials, educators, parents, law enforcement officers and our partners at ADAC. Our mission is clear; however the results require the combined and collaborative efforts of an entire community. Please, join our efforts and be a part of the solution to combat drug and alcohol use by youth in and around Greenwood Lake.
- GWL Teen Center open every Wednesday from 6:00p.m. to 9:00p.m. at the Greenwood Lake Elks Lodge.
- Open Gym for Grades 9-12 every Friday at the MS. Free for Village and Town Residents
- Open Gym for Grades 6-8 every Thursday at the ES. Free for Village and Town Residents
- 1st Annual Concert for Suicide and Depression Awareness – An Eagle Scout Project by Eagle Candidate Ethan Williams. Sat., May 24th from 3:00p.m. – 10:00p.m. at the Thomas P. Morahan Waterfront Park.
- Memorial Day Ceremony, Monday, May 26, 1pm – the GWL American Legion will hold a memorial dedication ceremony for US Marine Corps Lance Corporal Scott A. Lynch, of the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment Scout Sniper Platoon, killed in action in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. The event will take place at the Greenwood Lake American Legion Post, starting at 1:00 pm