Mayor Dwyer’s Column
Greenwood Lake Mayor
By Jesse Dwyer
Thank you John Rader – Good Luck Marty Hickie
As the new year arrives, so too does a new Fire Chief for the GWLVFD. I would like to personally thank outgoing Chief John Rader for working so well with our board, and me personally as our paths in leadership positions crossed. I would like to congratulate the new Chief Marty Hickie, for earning the rank of Chief and I look forward to working with you during your tenure.
Prevent Freezing Pipes
The weather is getting extremely cold, so here are some tips to prevent frozen pipes in your home: Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe – even at a trickle – helps prevent pipes from freezing.
Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
Christmas Tree Pickup
The Village will be picking up Christmas Trees every Monday and Thursday in the month of January. All trees will be donated to the Breezy’s Winter Carnival for their annual bonfire on the ice.
Upcoming Events in Greenwood Lake
- 34th Annual Kick-off Soccer Tournament – sponsored by the G.L. Gaelic Society on Sat., Jan. 4 & Sun., Jan. 5 & Sat., Jan., 11 through Mon., Jan. 13 at the Middle School.
- Cell Tower Balloon Test Rescheduled to Jan., 11th.
- G.L. Silent Flyers – Sun., Jan., 19 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Middle School. For information call Anthony Sole at 494-7770
- Village Board Workshop – Tue., Jan., 21 at 6:30 p.m. in the Courthouse.
- Village Board Meeting – Tue., Jan 21 at 7:30 p.m. in the Courthouse.