As a result of the expected storms for tomorrow, September 6th, the 90th committee has decided to cancel the celebration. The celebration will be postponed for a later date, likely in October.
Stay tuned for the announcement!
Our DPW Department has just notified us that hydrant flushing, originally scheduled for Wed., Sept. 3rd – Fri., Sept. 5th, will be extended until Monday, Sep 8. Victory Acres section will be first, followed by the “flats” (Middle of Village), Windermere Park, Orchard setion, East Shore, Wah Ta Wah and Lakelands.
During the flush in Windermere Park, we will be replacing one of the final broken fire hydrants. Due to the infrastructure limitations, when replacing this hydrant, we must shut off the water in Windermere Park. This will take place on Friday, Sept 5th.
Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
After careful consideration, the Village chose to wait until after the holiday weekend when water usage is extremely high, to flush the hydrants.
Hydrants will be flushed on Wed., Sept. 3rd – Fri., Sept. 5th. As usual, Victory Acres section will be first, followed by the “flats” (Middle of Village), Windermere Park, Orchard setion, East Shore, Wah Ta Wah and Lakelands.
This year has been unseasonably dry, forcing fewer flushes. We encourage reduced water usage until we receive the sustained rains of late summer/ early fall.
During the flush in Windermere Park, will be replacing one of the final broken fire hydrants. Due to the infrastructure limitations, when replacing this hydrant, we must shut off the water in Windermere Park. This will take place on Thur., Sept 4th.
The Village Board appreciates your patience.
Greenwood Lake, NY Grace Lutheran Church on Waterstone Road announces Sunday School Rally Day will take place on Sunday, September 7th.
After the 9:30 am Sunday service, the Sunday School Rally will consist of registration for the upcoming season of Sunday School, fellowship and an ice cream sundae party.
In the spirit of “God’s Work, Our Hands” Grace Lutheran Church will also be collecting nonperishable foods and personal hygiene items for the Greenwood Lake Food Pantry.
For more information contact Sue Toscano, Council President, at 845-477-2267.
Grace is known for creative fundraising events including the very popular annual Murder Mystery dinner, their Soup and Chili Cook-off and various other dinner and social events.
Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church invites all to join them for worship services on Sunday mornings at 9:30 am and for coffee hour and fellowship immediately following.
Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, 25 Waterstone Road Greenwood Lake NY; Tel: 845-477-3384.
Greenwood Lake Mayor
By Jesse Dwyer
Celebrating GWL’s 90th “Birthday”
In a year where we have seen so many community events and fun times for all ages, we are wrapping the year up with a grand finale. For some, September 6th is late summer, but for us fall lovers, it is dubbed the beginning of fall. Well, on that early fall day, GWL will offer the epic and historic running of the beds down Windermere. Beginning at 12:00 p.m., if you are not running a bed, stand along Windermere and watch the comedic and competitive racing of beds. Just before the bed race, take a few minutes to save a life and donate blood at the GWL Ambulance Corp building located at 74 Windermere Ave between 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Following the historic GWL Bed Race, at 2:00 p.m., we will be celebrating GWL’s 90th year of being an incorporated New York Village. Please join the GWL Village Board, Town Board and over a dozen local organizations for a day of historic fun in Greenwood Lake. Kicking off festivities at 2:00 p.m. in the field next to CVS, there will be food, refreshments, pie eating contests, dunk tanks, local products for sale and the nostalgic feeling of good ‘ole GWL!
• Coalition Teen Center Every Wednesday from 6:00p.m. – 9:00p.m. at the GWL Elks Lodge
• Ambulance Corp Blood Drive – Sat., Sept., 6th from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p. m. at the Ambulance Corp Building
• Village Board Workshop/ Roundtable Mon., Sept 15th from 5:30p.m. – 7:30p.m. in the Courthouse
• Village Board General Meeting Mon., Sept. 15th at .7:30p.m.
• GWL Annual Bed Race, Sept. 6th beginning at 12pm on Windermere Ave
• GWL Celebrates 90th Anniversary Sept. 6th at 2pm in the GWL Park next to CVS.
A Small Lake Community Known Nationally
Many in and around the greater Greenwood Lake area are familiar with the early morning calls of a Coxswain shouting from the stern, and sometimes the bow, of the narrow shell of non-motorized boats gliding across the water. Over the past two decades since the founding of the East Arm Rowing Club, the crew from Greenwood Lake and the small club “EARC” are known nationally as a highly competitive team to beat.
This past weekend, similar to many years prior, EARC sends some of its top rowers who train day in and day out, year round, preparing for the big race – the US Rowing Masters National Championships. This race, the Masters Nationals, which alternates race locations throughout the US each year, was held in Grand Rapids MI. I am proud, and certainly not surprised, to report that the EARC crew team will be bringing back a total of 6 medals including 4 gold medals.
We, as a lake community, have tremendous attributes that differentiate us from all other lake communities. I am happy to say that one of our best attributes, and most incredible selling points to outsiders and those considering investing in this community, is an athletic club that depends solely on the lake. In addition to the competitive, therapeutic and relaxing sport of rowing, our lake offers world class fishing, sailing, boating and the more recent and ever-increasingly popular Paddle Boarding. For these, and many more reasons, Greenwood Lake, and the surrounding area, is finding its way to a top spot as one of the country’s best lake community’s to live in.
- Coalition Teen Center Every Wednesday from 6:00p.m. – 9:00p.m. at the GWL Elks Lodge
- Neighborhood Watch Meeting – Wed., Aug. 20th at 7:30 p.m. in the Courthouse
- Village Board Workshop/ Roundtable, Sept 15th from 5:30p.m. – 7:30p.m. in the Courthouse
- Village Board General Meeting, Sept. 15th at .7:30p.m.
- Summer Concert Series (Final Act) Sat., Aug. 23rd — Irish Night at the Beach sponsored by the Greenwood Lake Gaelic Cultural Society. Event kicks off at 7:30 p.m.
Greenwood Lake Mayor
By Jesse Dwyer
Greenwood Lake’s Inaugural
5K & Kids Fun Run
The success of the recent 5K is attributed to many factors. First and foremost, the dedicated volunteers and coordination of a hard working 5K committee that included Bill Cerone, Alexandriah Sabarese, Rebecca Forchette, Deputy Mayor Kelli Kelm, Trustee Katheleen Holder, Meghan Gilson, and Teresa Thomas. On race day, where there were over 200 racers between the 5K and Kid’s Fun Run, we had over 30 volunteers ensuring that the inaugural event went off without a hitch.
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. In addition, I would like to thank all of the more than 25 local sponsors, including our top sponsors: RW Orange County LLC (Proposed Sterling Forest Resort, Tuxedo, NY) with a $1,000 donation, the G.L. Lions Club with $500 and of course, the G.L. Elks Lodge with whom the Village partnered to execute this event. I’d also like to thank the Greenwood Lake Boy Scouts and finally, I would like to thank the G.L. Police, Fire and EMS for their support on race day.
Second Free Children’s
Concert This Thursday
Be sure to come out and enjoy a wonderful free children’s concert at the beach, sponsored by the G.L. Lions Club. The concert on Thurs., Aug. 14 at 7 p.m. will be the Uncle Brothers Band returning to play once again for our community’s children. If it rains the concert will be held at the G.L. Elks Lodge, located at 35 Chestnut St.
• Coalition Teen Center – every Wed. from 6 to 9 p.m. at the G.L. Elks Lodge.
• Boaters Safety Course – Wed., Aug., 13 & Fri., Aug. 15. Please sign up at the police department by calling 477-9211. This course runs two days, Wednesday and Friday, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. You must attend both sessions.
• Children’s Concert at the Beach – Thurs., Aug. 14 the Uncle Brothers Band will perform at 7 p.m. at the Waterfront Park. This free children’s concert is sponsored by the G.L. Lions Club.
• Identity Theft Seminar at the Senior Citizen’s Center – Fri. Aug., 15 at 12:30 p.m.
• Summer Concert Series – Sat., Aug. 16 the Galea & The Galvanizers, a blues rock band, will perform at 7:30 p.m. at the Waterfront Park.
• Summer Concert Series – Sat., Aug. 23 at 7:30 p.m. will be Irish Night at the Beach, sponsored by the Greenwood Lake Gaelic Cultural Society.
• Village Board Workshop – Mon., Sept 15 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Courthouse.
• Village Board General Meeting – Mon., Sept. 15 at 7:30 p.m.